Monday 5 September 2011

Piwo proszę!

You will be pleased to know that I am safe and sound in a wonderful city which for the record is BOILING at the moment. Leaving Norway without checking what weather to expect was clearly a massive fail-bomb which exploded on me today as I had to hunt down a H&M to buy SHORTS! So, apparently I've been walking around in the 30 degreesC heat since my arrival and my tan after the last few days is more impressive than the one I've been working on for the past four months... Great.

Other than the fact that it's HOT, I've found the people to be very friendly. My roomie, Kasia, for instance will be studying dentistry and being danish/polish she is teaching me the basic 'essentials' that I have to know about Krakow- crossing the road on a red-man sign could get you fined, so is drinking in public. The hobos around the river are just high on happy-pills at night and won't attack you, however you should stay away from the bald guys who walk around in gangs- they are the ones who cause trouble. So far I've seen 20+ hobos and lots of old ladies walking around in the late evenings and not a single bald young man- this place is clearly safe!

Referring to the title of this post- it is so far the only thing I can say in polish with complete confidence! For the entire first two days all I happened to consume was crispbread, cheese, peanut butter, yoghurt and... beer!!??!? (piwo means beer, in case you're still wondering) And just to mention the odd fact: polish beer is rather nice and today I had my first hot meal in two days at a sushi place and I can assure you that miso soup has never tasted better!
I keep having to ask people whether they speak english and realise how the language barrier is getting annoying already. Must. learn. polish. NOW!
The google-translator's english-polish function has got to become my browser homepage from now on...

Keeping it short and sweet for now as I am hoping to actually make it on time to the orientation day tomorrow... Knowing my own ways I will probably have to run after the tram in the morning and spill coffee on my dress or do something equally clumsy, if not just sleeping in.

Might consider supplying the next post with a few photos as well. Yea. Might.


.

1 comment:

  1. Men du kan vel si: DAZWIDANYA! eller sier man ikke sånt i polski?

    ReplyDelete