Friday 7 October 2011

A few ideas about nuns.

I don't know if this is a "I'm new in town so it's okay to be overly fascinated"-thing or just disrespectful. Just saying this to point out that I am indeed aware that some people might find this a bit rude or whatever. It's similar to "gul bil"/"yellow car" and me and Vaishi's "1/2/3"-game; whenever we see a nun we subtly hit/poke the other person. The one being poked is obviously gutted for not seeing the nun first and that's just about the entire gist of the game. Monks are less common, thus seeing one allows you to hit/poke twice. Poking with reference to a nun you saw while you were walking around on your own that nobody else had the chance to spot does not count and will result in giving the other players the chance to hit you back the same number of times that you hit them.  At the end of the day it's simply pointless yet entertaining. Why? No idea!

I guess other than that I have never seen as many nuns in my life makes me think about who these people are and what it is that they --do--. Seriously, what do nuns and monks do other than practising their religion and grow pea plants (referring to Gregor Mendel the biologist monk here...)?  What I do know is that they sure spend a lot of time eating ice cream because whenever I am out by the Wisla river or in Rynek I see several groups of 5-6 sisters walking in a line eating ice lollies (I wonder what they do instead during winter?). It's just something you don't see very often in the places I've lived in previously, what can I say?!

One day when I am a semi-fluent Polish speaker I am going to be all brave and ask a nun for directions or something stupid like what the time is. Once I am fluent I am contemplating whether or not to ask if a nun I meet on the street is would like to go for a coffee in between all her errands to tell me more about her life. Do nuns even drink coffee? Why do I keep thinking they've got such restricted and/or boring lives? I mean, I've seen nuns driving cars and a monk on a moped. I even found a monk to be quite attractive the other day (which is practically the same case as whenever you see a beautiful gay guy). Damn, this just makes me want to research the nun-lifestyle even more!

 
This is the exact image of what I might see on a sunny day in the streets of Kraków! 



.

No comments:

Post a Comment